Re: [ST] Recommended tire pressures??

On May 12, 2005, at 3:22 PM, Neil Lindsey wrote:

Regarding experimentation -- I'd rather not experiment with SAFETY
issues (such as the risk of tire failure due to the excessive heat
build-up that can occur with an under-inflated tire).  IOW the best
handling setting may not necessarily be the safest.

If your tires are incorrectly inflated to the point that excessive heat can build up, you should notice that handling has suffered considerably.

My argument about tire pressures is that they are similar to suspension settings. Asking for a magic number when we all weigh differently, ride differently, and ride on different roads is pointless.

When it feels right, you'll know you have the right tire pressure. There's no shortcut to just getting out and testing.

I'd argue that the best handling is the safest because it's certainly going to end up in the safe range of where the tire was designed for, and let's face it, if the bike is handling well, you have a better chance of avoiding getting into an unsafe situation, and a better chance of getting out of an unsafe situation.

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA - http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/motorcycles
'99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
'01 KLR650 - for exploring the North Coast backroads
'97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
'79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned