RE: [ST] RE: Brett - been there

>From: jrice
>To Mick: I wonder if others have had similar experiences because I've locked
>3 times and the last one right sided and fractured my ankle x 3.
>I'm wondering if I can readjust them so they're less sensitive or something.
>Any thoughts out there besides the obvious.

The Sprint brakes are actually less sensitive, in the first part of
pressure at least. Of what I've read it seems that they did that on
purpose to make the brakes a bit friendlier. I guess practice, practice,
practice would be the obvious answer. I also assume you locked up the
front, not the rear? In contrast to ABS, it's best to start braking
gently, then building up pressure gradually to try to keep feel with
the brakes (also obvious I guess). It's also important (and probably
obvious to you as well) to use mainly the front brake, not the rear.
If that doesn't help I would guess an ABS Sprint is in order to prevent
killing yourself ;-).

Also be aware that the chance of skidding / locking up increases when
speed decreases. That's because the actual speed difference between
brake disc (wheel) and brake pad becomes smaller, so the slower it goes,
the less energy it would need to lock it up. So when you approach standstill
it's best to decrease brake pressure again to prevent this "slow speed
lockup". Some reference material:
http://www.msgroup.org/TIP030.html
http://www.msgroup.org/TIP064.html
Not everything on that site is entirely correct, but most is
very usefull and at least food for thought.

In what kind of situations did you lock it up?

Emile
www.piloot.com