[ST] Re: Triumph Brakes was RE: Brett

Emile,

I can't recall how many miles you said were on your Sprint when you bought it but I believe that it was used, right? If so, I HIGHLY suggest removing the front calipers, one at a time and checking to make sure that all of the pistons are moving freely. You can do this by gently squeezing the brake lever (don't go to far, bad things will happen :)) while observing the caliper with the pads removed. It helps to have an assistant, but is not 100% necessary. If you're bike is like mine, after a while the buildup of brake dust and other misc. junk will cause some of the pistons to work less freely than the others. This will result in a softer feeling brake lever as well as inconsistent brake force application. My brakes were totally shagged after about 14k. After cleaning the calipers (which can be done in a few hours with them still mounted on the bike) my brakes were like never before. They are now very linear and progressive where before they had a sort of "dull" zone followed by rapidly increasing brake force.

Someone (a list member) was actually kind enough to email me instructions on how to clean the calipers. I can't find my copy but maybe someone else still has it.

Regards,

Nate
00SprintRS

Emile Nossin wrote: > The Sprint brakes are actually less sensitive, in the first part of
pressure at least. Of what I've read it seems that they did that on
purpose to make the brakes a bit friendlier. I guess practice, practice,
practice would be the obvious answer. I also assume you locked up the
front, not the rear? In contrast to ABS, it's best to start braking
gently, then building up pressure gradually to try to keep feel with
the brakes (also obvious I guess). It's also important (and probably
obvious to you as well) to use mainly the front brake, not the rear.
If that doesn't help I would guess an ABS Sprint is in order to prevent
killing yourself ;-).