Re: [ST] RE: Brett - been there

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 10:11 -0600, jrice wrote:
> To Mick: I wonder if others have had similar experiences because I've locked
> 3 times and the last one right sided and fractured my ankle x 3. Still in
> crutches x 2 months. It has never happened with other bikes I've ridden so
> I'm wondering if I can readjust them so they're less sensitive or something.
> Any thoughts out there besides the obvious.

I think it could be more to do with soft front forks that dive when you
hit the brakes. After using a bike for a while you get used to the front
brakes. I suppose practising stoppies is a good way to get used to the
way the front end behaves under braking. It is very easy to lock the
front wheel while braking hard for emergencies, whatever the bike. The
trick is to learn to release the brakes when a lock occurs. For this to
work well you don't want the forks unloading like a pogo stick, it
upsets the stability. My ZX9 has much stronger brakes than the ST. Six
pots with sintered pads and a lightweight bike make it stop much quicker
than the ST you can feel the deceleration. The extra weight of the ST
transfered to the front forks can make the front end lock up too
quickly. A progressive squeeze to get the tyre to bite deep into the
tarmac is what is needed.

On saying that though the Brittish Police nearly always do braking tests
after an accident to see what the braking distance is. Concrete is
notorious for being as slippery as ice sometimes in the wet.

--
simonb <simonb@xxxxxxxxxxx>