RE: [ST] RE: Brett - been there

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 01:46 +0200, Emile Nossin wrote:
> >From: simonb
> >RE: DCBS The only thing I can find on Google is Blackbird or CBR web
> >sites. No independent test seem to be available. But I can remeber MCN
> >testing which gave the opposite results. I think one of the testers fell
> >off the CBR1000 because the front brake comes on with the rear brake.
>
> Well, only 1 piston or so comes on I believe. And how much force is
> put thru depends on the torque on the rear brake in that case, which
> is hydraulically transfered, depending on force applied, speed etc.
> The BMW integral system works in a similar fashion, but is controlled
> electronically and more intelligent. My only experience with DCBS is
> with a Blackbird,

Same here.

>  but I can't remember even noticing it. How could
> he have fallen off?

Tight hairpin I believe. IIRC.

>  In this (Dutch) test I have here they really
> liked DCBS (which is different than the linked braking system of
> the older Goldwing), mostly because of the great performance it
> gave just by letting the brakes be used more efficiently, without
> giving anybody the sense of a false security. My opinion would be
> that with proper knowledge, awareness of its limitations and proper
> training, ABS is only good though. In combination with DCBS (like on
> the ST1100/ST1300 and the newer smaller Hondas with ABS)

I don't like the Honda's linked brakes because they deaden feedback and
don't allow you to customise input, yet I do believe they are a benefit
for the average rider, and certainly for the newbie (though they don't
teach proper braking; they only correct bad technique).

>  or the BMW
> system, the effect is pretty amazing. The video I mentioned before
> with the Dutch police BMW's also had a scene where they tested that
> BMW versus a police ST1100ABSTCSDCBS. Now I know the ST brakes (especially
> on the +'96 models) are really very good, but the Beemer won with
> a noticable difference.

I went to Italy with two racers. The guy with BMW GS1150 (ABS) lost the
front end in an emergancy stop situation and hit the back of the
GSXR1000. So I was not that impressed. The front wheel just washed out
sideways. It was a classic junction accident.

> When you get a chance to ride one of these bikes you should try and
> test it out.

I have ridden most of them. The only thing of note is the added weight
of all this extra stuff. The VFR800 is 235 Kilo wet.

--
simonb <simonb@xxxxxxxxxxx>