Re: [ST] Re: ST-triumphnet.com Digest, Vol 2, Issue 39

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 15:11 -0500, Dan Wetherington wrote:
> Denis,
> I'm pretty sure that they switched to Aston Green in 02 or 03 when they
> switched from Sapphire blue to Caspian Blue...  Can't find anything to
> support me, but what else is new.  I'll try to do some digging.  If
> anyone has the "official" triumph brochure it should say what the green
> is.  Too bad I didn't pick one up when I got the bike.

Triumph press release 2002:

Triumph Sprint ST

Already regarded as one of the most versatile motorcycles in the world
the 2002 Sprint ST benefits from the same heavily-revised engine fitted
to the latest Speed Triple and the Sprint RS.

A machine as happy scratching through back lanes as it is hitting the
continent on long hauls, the Sprint ST remains a firm favourite with
riders who expect adaptability as a standard feature.

The hugely capable twin spar aluminium chassis and single-sided swing-
arm remain unchanged. Clever touches like the two-position exhaust,
either fixed high for added cornering clearance, or lower down to allow
room for fitted luggage remain a reason why this bike is a favourite
with serious riders. Only the graphics are changed to enhance the
flowing lines and deep-finish colour scheme of the new machine.

The engine changes offer even more of the long-legged performance the
Sprint ST is renowned for. The new 120bhp powerplant is identical to the
new 955cc three-cylinder engine fitted to the new Speed Triple and
Sprint RS. Employing high-pressure die-cast crankcases for both strength
and lightness, the DOHC 12-valve liquid-cooled engine’s new cylinder
head utilizes 1mm larger inlet valves and 1mm smaller exhaust valves,
set at a narrower included angle. Both inlet and exhaust ports are
redesigned for better gas flow and the new cast pistons run in steel
liners. Compression ratio is up from 11.2:1 to 12:1.while crankcase
breathing is revised to minimise power loss. The new engine is 2.5kg
lighter than before.

A larger airbox feeds the new closed loop fuel injection system which
features smaller, lighter injectors, while compact, light plug-top
ignition coils provide dependable high-intensity sparks. The closed-loop
system features an oxygen sensor that monitors and adjusts the air:fuel
ratio at varying engine speeds to optimise engine performance. The fuel
injection mapping is tuned for even more mid-range torque making the
Sprint ST’s punchy three-cylinder performance even easier to use to the
full.

As on the Speed Triple engine, the alternator is now located on the
left-hand end of the crankshaft and the starter motor drive is located
on the right. This layout, reduces noise, especially at idle, as there’s
now no need for a gear-train to drive the alternator. And a revised
claw-type gear-change mechanism gives a much smoother and more positive
shift action.

The exhaust system has new headers and balance-pipe to further boost
midrange output and for the German and Californian markets a secondary
air injection system is fitted to minimise emissions.

Cooling and lubrication systems are revised with the coolant radiator
featuring a thinner core, increasing efficiency without adding size or
weight.

The Sprint ST is available in distinctive British Racing Green, cool
Sapphire Blue and dashing Tornado Red.

Key changes:

      * New 120bhp third generation 955cc engine with increased torque.

      * New decals.

Colour Options:

      * Tornado Red

      * Sapphire Blue

      * British Racing Green

Accessories:

      * Integrated Alarm

      * L.E.D fitted as OE on bike

      * two circuit immobilisation

      * ‘fail-safe’ engine immobilisation

      * ‘hot-wire’ detection circuit

      * internal rechargeable battery

      * current draw of less than 5 mA

      * Thatcham MC1 approved

      * Performance Aftermarket Silencer

      * 2x2 weave hi-temp carbon fibre wrap

      * thermal blanket protection

      * nitro-tec hardened bracket

      * stainless steel external construction

      * bespoke fuel injection mapping

      * Two box colour co-ordinated panniers

      * integrated stylish design

      * full face helmet fits in both panniers

      * slim line fitting

      * Colour co-ordinated Top Box

      * 45 litres capacity, holds two full face helmets

      * Throwover Panniers

      * high visibility reflective edging

      * 1250 denier polyester construction

      * integrated, quick release panel protectors (also available
        separately)

      * 24 litres capacity expandable to 48 litres

      * integral water resistant covers

      * Tankbag

      * 14 litres expandable to 18 litres

      * removable map pocket

      * integral water resistant cover

      * shoulder strap

      * separate harness

      * Heated Grips

      * two position heat setting

      * no visible external wiring when fitted

      * Higher screen (Tinted)

      * 3 mm ‘Lexan’ (Polycarbonate) screen

      * designed for high mileage touring capabilities

      * Colour Co-ordinated Seat Cowl

      * Carbon Fibre Tank Pad

      * Paddock Stand

      * Cast Aluminium Rear Rack