[ST] Not really a ride report

Hey everyone,

I lurched into bed at midnight last night after doing a fair amount of STing over the weekend, so thought I'd just pop some of it down in the spirit of a ride report. Most of it was motorway riding, so not much to say. 4,700rpm. 85mph. Blah.

Set off from home at 8:55am to get a new tyre pressure gauge, as my two had a discrepancy of 6psi, and I had 350 miles on day 1 to do. Would you risk 35/42 on one gauge and 41/48 on the other??? Nah. Anyway, the Michelin gauge I had filled the tyres with was correct, and I am now the proud owner of a digital keyring pressure gauge. Woohoo!

9:10am leaving the tyre pressure gauge shop. Hit the highway big time. That marvellous feeling of anticipation when you lift the side stand and click it into first gear, knowing there's hundreds of miles before you stop. The sun was out, air temperature was about 12 degrees (55?) and I headed south onto the M74.

Firstly, I have NEVER done any distance riding on the Sprint really. Even if I've done a couple of hundred miles in a day before, it's had 3 or 4 breaks, so doing 140 miles in one go in an hour and 55 minutes in such complete comfort was amazing. And that was with my weekend's stuff in a rucksack. It was uneventful, but as the air temperature rose and the traffic got heavier, I could feel myself smiling more and more as I started to use the engine. 6th gear. Rolling acceleration, just watching the speedo flick from 80 to 100ish then roll back down gently as I sliced through the mid morning drivers.

Stopped at Killington Lake service which is one of my fave places in the world. Stayed for an hour, eating overpriced food and drinking overpriced coffee, then filling the tank with overpriced petrol. There were about half dozen other bikers around, a ZZR1100 owner catching my eye for a quick chat and a wee drool over each other's bikes (ALWAYS nice when that happens!)

Then zub. In with the earplugs. On with the sunglasses. Another 130 miles of the same thing. Suddenly I've gone from "This bike is amazing" to a kind of religious awe. I've driven for 3 hours and 45 minutes, have covered just under 270 miles and have not so much as a twinge of pain. In fact I've found myself laughing out loud inside my helmet at the pure joy of just 'doing it'

Quick call on my mobile to my brother, and he's just about to leave the house to drive south, so given that I feel awesome I tell him I'll meet him and his wife where he's going. It's adding another 40ish miles to my day, but do I care?? Actually this is going to be my first taste of GPS navigation too, as I click the wee demon onto the handlebars and watch it tell me my position to the nearest 8cm. South, south, south. At some point I realise that the GPS is good but annoying, and I'm getting to ignore it and just look at the road signs, as I'm now doing some real riding off the motorway, with some lovely sweeping roads, lots of Midlands traffic, and now you see why you can only do this journey on something like the ST. None of this 4,000rpm crap now. Overtaking 2 lorries and a few cars, I hit the gearchanges at just over 8,500rpm, the speedo soaring into the low 3 figures easily, the queue of traffic a memory as I rattle the brakes hard into the corners. Now we're motoring, and eating the miles alive. No cruising. After the relative monotony of the motorway I find myself yelling "OH YES!!!" into the helmet as I blast through the countryside. Hitting the edges of Kenilworth I slow down only to be joined by a Speed Triple for a short stretch. Rather nice, weaving around gently at legal speeds with another Triumph. Don't know why that's so reassuring :)

Finally, after letting the GPS get me lost (definitely its fault) I got into the town traffic at my destination,. As I cut my driving teeth all those years ago on Glasgow city centre traffic I'm immediately at home, sliding between cars, filtering into impossible spaces, basically just being a cheeky bastard, and finally flopping the bike into a parking space, removing my gear and waiting for the family to walk across and meet me.

How good? I have never, ever done anything quite like that, the variety of motorway, country lane and town driving, not to mention the 350+ miles covered in basically one journey with two short stops and ended up feeling so completely at ease and comfortable.

Nothing much to say about the journey home. The same again, but colder. Heated grips went on at Carlisle (100 miles south of home) and stayed on for the rest of the journey. A little rain in the south, but I didn't need the waterproof oversuit on (thankfully) as my speeds stayed above 60mph, and I just tucked in behind the fairing.

That bike is just superb. I did something like 760 miles between Saturday and Monday, and could have jumped on it again this morning and done the same again. Just a big "WOW" feeling at the end of it all.

Fun.  Ramble over.

Cheers,

Andrew