Re: [ST] '05 Model test ride

In a previous email, CAPT Howard S. Serlick USNR wrote:
I had my 6K service done at Freehold Triumph in Freehold, NJ yesterday. I was offered their new blue '05 ST to take out for a test ride while waiting for my bike to be finished. Any of you that live in or around the area are invited to take the bike out for a demo ride. Bring your riding gear and your motorcycle license.

Sounds like you went out on the one that I rode last Tuesday.

My observations: (based in comparison to my '00 & '03 ST's)
1. Great seat - Height for rider is a bit lower than the earlier models. Grip-tex material is nice on the butt.

Aye. That was the first improvement that I noticed.

2. Engine is strong and the exhaust note is a bit lower. Gearing is different and I found myself upshifting (changing-up) very quickly until I was in third gear for most riding situations (35-55 mph). The gearbox (tranny) was smooth, neutral was easy to find when downshifting. The shifter was well placed and the actual shifts took no physical effort up or down. Major improvement.

When I went to start out I pulled in the clutch stepped on the shifter and felt a slight notch. The neutral light was out and I thought "Holy Shiite is that ever smooth!" I started to ease out the clutch and nothing happened. I looked down and saw that the neutral light had come back on. On the second attempt I heard that recognizable "thunk."

3. Throttle/fuel injection is a lot "twitchier" than current bikes. There was no feeling of the bike being "carburetted". Fine adjustments ("blips or roll-ons") while going around a tight corner or defects in the road were not easy to do. The engine just wants to go, go, go! This is a common problem with fuel injected bikes, and the earlier ST's have a really smooth and responsive feel. Not this bike! That engine was either "on" or "off". I didn't like the feel in comparison with my '03 ST.

I found this too.

5. Ride & Suspension- No problems here. Front and rear end are tight and stock tyres grip the road with precision. Turns, tracking, and feedback from the road are precise and crisp at any speed or gear. Wow!

Like I posted last week, it seemed that someone had dialed the suspension in for me.

6. Fully adjustable clutch lever- A four point adjuster is now at the handlebar to "fine tune" clutch engagement point. Works just like the unit on the brake lever on the right bar. Very nice touch.

Sweet. Huh?

7. Gauges- Nice with lots of options. Since I didn't have the manual, I don't know if one can programme/view speed on the far right gauge which provides LARGER, digital read-outs of damned near anything you want to know. The analog speedo on the left side of the cluster (of three) is small and difficult to read at speed.

That was one of my chief complaints. Huge numbers to tell me the time and tiny numbers to tell me my speed.

I like the bike very much and think Triumph have made some major improvements. However, I'm very pleased with my '03 and will wait for refinements and bugs to be worked out of this first year of production. I'd like to see the throttle response issue sorted.

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto

--
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"The difference between a drunk and an alcoholic is that a drunk doesn't have to attend all those meetings."
-- Arthur Lewis