Re: [ST] replacement chain for 1999 Sprint ST

The Sprint ST originally came with a Regina brand chain, but somewhere along the way they changed to DID which is a much better brand of chain. There are other brands too, such as RK Chains. The Sprint uses a 630 (the size of chain) o-ring chain (or variant such as x-ring) and according to the manual, 108 links. I usually buy a 120 link chain and remove the excess. You should find a suitable chain at any motorcycle shop whose bikes use large chains. Sprockets are a bit harder to get as the bolt pattern is different between bike brands and models. There are online sources or your Triumph dealer can get them

If you haven't done this before, you will need some special tools and I would recommend finding someone in your area who can walk you through it the first time. You'll need something to cut the old chain off,such as a dremel tool and a pin remover. You'll also need a tool to press in the side plate of the link to the proper depth and if you are using a rivet link (recommended) you'll need a tool to install the rivets properly. If you go with DID, they have a special tool for their rivets which makes it pretty easy to install the chain. There really isn't a substitute for the proper tools and technique here. If you don't do it right, the chain could come undone and lock up the rear wheel.

Dan Wallander
Albuquerque, NM

Stephen wrote:

Thanks for the information, Dan.  It is much appreciated.
  Could you tell me the link size and length of the chain so I can try to
locate it locally?  There  is a fairly large cycle shop about an hour away,
so I would like to call them first and see if they have the proper size.  I
just purchased this bike used and as yet do not have the proper manual.

Thanks again,

Stephen