RE: [ST] idle adjustment?

Stephen wrote:
>>The bike now doesn't want to idle fast enough and occasionally will
die at a light.  This can be troublesome when it happens just as the
light turns green.  I talked to the guy I bought her from and he said
it has happened before and he adjusted the throttle cable to allow for
it.  That seems like an iffy fix at best.  I know on carburated bikes
there is a main idle adjustment knob.  There surely is an adjustment
on the 99 Sprint ST.  Can someone tell me where it is.<<

Stephen,
Idle speed is controlled by the idle stepper motor using the factory
diagnostic tool or an aftermarket program called TuneBoy.  First, your
throttle cable should be slackened until it no longer holds the
throttle plates open since this could cause the stepper motor to not
operate.

If that doesn't solve the problem I'd suggest you take the bike to a
reputable dealer and request that a new tune be uploaded, that the
throttle position sensor and idle stepper motors be reset and that the
idle CO trim be adjusted to 2.5%.  You'll be amazed at the difference.

--
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST