[ST] Re: ST Rear Wheel Bearing replacement ??

G'day folks..

I'm the guy Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen refers to in the last mail
that had 2 x rear wheel bearing siezures. I explored this with all
sorts of "bearing experts" after the second incident. A few said that
the design of the bearing fitted up to the axle in that way " was not
very smart engineering - and was doomed to fail at some time - unless
they were carefully lubricated and maintained."

I think this sucks !!! Since when did a sports touring bike need to
have careful maintainence of rear wheel bearings to prevent siezure.
( at speed or not ) Never heard of this on any other make ??

I've riden bikes for years and never had a concern about wheel bearings
- but seems it's one of the things that make these ST's unique - love
it or hate it - but regularly check those bearings guys...

My own test before each ride now is when on the center stand when
warming up the motor, in neutral, at idle, the back wheel will spin
slowly by itself = no bearing drag and good chain adjustment. Do u'all
agree ??

Cheers / Harry / Sydney-OZ / 2002 ST.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com