Re: [ST] 12V cig lighter adaptor setup (advice needed)

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Stuart Anderson wrote:

-I am after some advice on adding a 12V cigarette lighter adaptor to my
-Triumph Sprint RS. The simple way would be to wire it directly to the
-battery terminal but my feeling is I should have some consideration for
-fuses and stuff! Is an in-line fuse an option, and does anyone know what
-sort of fuse I should use? I'd probably prefer to do this than try and
-splice it in to the proper electrics. I'm not too concerned with mounting it
-on the fairing or anything at this stage; I just want it to sit under the
-seat and charge my toys (PDA and iPod).

Yes Stuart, this is possible and I did just that when I needed a cig
outlet.  You should be able to find an in-dash type of thing at an auto parts
store, some come complete with the in-line fuse wired in for ya'.  Use a
fast-acting fuse, not a slow-blow, and use something appropriate to the
amperage you are using.  To charge a cell phone or an iPod I can't see needing
more than a 1A fuse.  I had the glass barrell type, but notice the Battery
Tender/electric vest type harnesses use blade type fuses which may be more
logical to use since you may already be carrying spares of this type.

FWIW, HIH.

--

                               ._O_.  '03 Sprint ST
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport       /~\