Re: [ST] Helmet Life

Dan

It's the same reason the mechanic replaced my front pads when I put the
bike in for service.  I'd had them out a week prior and decided there
was plenty of meat left.  1mm of slot basically.

He didn't know if I'd be expecting to get to the next service without
checking, and replaced them.  'It's a safety item' is what was said.

Likewise the helmet manufacturer doesn't know if you anchor chain is in
the lid when it falls or if it lands on a nail.  You do/might.

Chris Harwood
00 RS

>>> DEW@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 10/11/2005 16:27:49 >>>
I understand why the manufacturer can make statements to that effect
(i.e. helmet should be replaced), but I find it hard to believe that
the
styrofoam will compress when the helmet hits IF there is nothing in
the
helmet.  Most of today's helmets are made of very stiff composites
(glass fiber, carbon fiber, etc.) but even the polycarbonate shells
will
resist flexing under such small loads.  How much energy are we really
talking about here?  Take the average mass of a helmet (any guesses?
2-3kgs maybe?) and a drop height of say 1 meter (average seat height?).

I guess the Motorcyclist article got me thinking about all this.  They
mention that none of the helmets they tested came close to bottoming
out
the EPA liner, even in the "huge" SNELL drop (150J drop).  Even in the
"two-hit" scenario, I can't see how an empty helmet drop would affect
the outcome.

Once again, this is my $0.02.

Dan

<<<<<<