Re: [ST] headlight relay * CORRECTION *

First of all, I was wrong about the Bosch 0332 014 150 relay.
According to: http://tinyurl.com/9mc77 , it's a normally closed relay
with 2 output terminals. That means you could hook it up so current
flows when the switching current is off - not a good thing for a
headlight circuit!  A better Bosch application would be 0332 014 019
(12v, 30a, 4-terminal, normally open contacts - no room for error.

So here's a corrected headlight relay list:
Bosch 0332 014 019
Hella 4RA 035 510 111
Wehrle 20 200100
Italamec 562.10
According to the same website, all the above are interchangeable.
We also have Emile's Hella 4RA 007 791-021.

Simplistically, a relay is a remotely-controlled electrical switch.
The relay's protection diode (think of it as an electronic
check-valve) prevents circuit-damaging electrical spikes when the
relay is switched.

Let me add to Neil's response that you might check the relay amperage
rating too.  The Bosch one I listed is rated for 30 amps - more than
adequate for the 4-5 amp draw of a 55w low beam.

FYI, here's a nice little tutorial on relays:
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/relay.htm

--
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST