Re: [ST] headlight relay

Frederic,

These relays are not driven by the ECU, and each relay only carries the
current associated of ONE headlight bulb (the other bulb of the pair is
not switched by any relay at all). If you don't believe me, try removing
BOTH relays, turn the ignition on and operate the dip switch.  One
headlight will illuminate in each position, one for low beam and one for
high beam.

The headlight cut-out relay is driven by the same voltage that is
applied to the starter solenoid, and when this switching voltage is
present (i.e. when the starter button is depressed) the cut-out relay
removes the ground connection for all filaments, preventing the
headlights from operating at all. The ECU plays no part in this.  I say
again, there are no 'drivers' involved, period.

The coil to which the switching voltage is applied has a fixed
resistance, and as long as the replacement relay is rated for 12V
operation, the relay should not get overly warm.
If it was rated for 6V operation then its resistance is lower and it
will draw more current when operated at 12V (not a good thing).

I had already mentioned that IF the switched (normally-open) contacts
are resistive (as might be the case if the relay is of overall poor
quality or not rated for the expected load current) then they will get
warm when the relay is closed.  This situation is not terribly likely.

The relay that is being added is activating only one low beam filament,
and it should therefore be cooler than the EXISTING relay, which is
handling the higher current associated with one high beam filament.  If
the relay that is being added seems hotter than the one that already
exists, then there is something else wrong.