[ST] Size matters

Not to get into a "mine's bigger than yours" discussion but I can't resist.

Ten years ago my brother acquired a "broken" compressor from his employer.
It was leaking oil from the pump.

Turned out somebody had replaced the air breather tube with a bolt, which of
course pressurized the crankcase and blew out the gasket (a flat plate seals
the bottom of the crankcase).

I created a new breather out of some scrap pipe fittings, used blue silicone
on the gasket and voila: for $150 we had a 220v, 25 amp, two-stage unit on
an 80 gallon vertical tank. I've now used it for ten years without problems.
Of course it's not exactly portable, requires me to wire up the 220v
circuit, install a pipe system to condense moisture from the air supply,
etc. But it stays ahead of my bead blaster, spray gun, DA sander, air
grinder and pretty much everything I've tried.

I recently scored a Thomas Renegade portable unit (71 lbs) at a flea market
in like new condition for $80. It'll be handy for home improvement tasks
like nailing and the air blowing, tire filling kinds of jobs that make
compressors so handy. My son in law chipped in $40 so it now lives at his
house.

Keep in mind that your compressor (like your bike) is among other things
your opening to a new world of gadgetry and spending. Once you've tried a
framing nailer it's hard to go back.

Walt Greenwood

Everett, Wash.

2000 ST black with fresh antifreeze