Re: [ST] st Digest, Vol 8, Issue 36

Don't own an '05 but spent a couple of hours on a demo.

Bob Nixon wrote:

>1) I'm finding myself defending the 05 Sprint over in rec.motorcycles and
>alt.motorcycle.sportbike and having never ridden a new 05 Sprint I'm a
>little lost about some of the complaints. Can anyone confirm any of the
>following?
>
>a)Hot seat and pillion rails from underseat exhaust?

Lots more heat, I especially noticed it in the tank (crotch) area and on
the frame

>aa) Higher general engine heat?

Yes.

>b)Some complain the new Sprint has lost it's silky smoothness. (higher
>engine buzz)?

Didn't notice much difference between my '99 and the '05

>c)Headlights too bright?

There's such a thing as too bright?

>d)I can confirm this one. The new square looking hard bags look sucky. Do
>they leak water?

Triumph is redesigning the hard cases and replacing the old ones with
the new design, so complaints need to wait until the new bags come out.

>e)Is the new Fuel Injection as snatchy (off idle) as a stock Honda 929?

didn't notice any snatchiness.

Except for the heat problems (and lack of extra money right now) I'd be
on an '05.  I found the handling to be superior to the previous models
and the power delivery to be very smooth and somewhat deceptive.  The
riding position felt just like my '99 and I was instantly comfortable on
the bike.  I ride long distances alone, so the higher pillion seat
doesn't bother me, but the heat coming right in my crotch makes the bike
unusable for me

Dan Wallander
Albuquerque, NM (winter got here yesterday).