Re: [ST] st Digest, Vol 8, Issue 36

I have a friend who is trying to sell his '05 ST to go back to his '01 ST.  The heat fron the engine actually makes him think twice about going for a ride when it is warm out.  His wife gets roasted from the undertail.  And yes, the bags stink.  The overall package is a huge improvement in sporty-ness - more power, lighter/more flickable.  However, the heat is a deal-breaker.  And I actually find that the lighter package is a little less stable for touring.  I think the extra weight of the pre-'05 makes it more stable for those times when you do tour out on the highway - the bike is more planted.  I didn't notice any snatchy-ness, and who ever thinks that too much light is a problem?!?!  The other big complaint that I've seen is the cold-starting.  When cold, the bike needs to crank what seems like a few times too many, and then sort of sputters to life.  Nothing amiss once started, but the behavior has bothered many owners.  Our local service guys are going to bring it up to
  Triumph
 Tech at the next regional meeting.

  Matt Heyer

  PS - it sucks that it does get cold and ugly here in the east, preventing us from riding.  However, trying to find the positive, I use the time to do stuff to the bike and learn more about it.  I'm doing frame sliders, new windscreen, Givi top box with brake light, and a GPS/XM radio over the winter.  Aside from a thorough cleaning and inspection.  Since there is little worry of having the bike apart and coming across a good riding day, this time of year is good for it.  And in doing these projects, I always seem to learn a little more about the bike.  Here's to hoping that we have an unusually warm New Year's Day again (I was out riding on the past one, which is really something in these parts - Washington, DC).

Bob Nixon <bigrex@xxxxxxx> wrote:

1) I'm finding myself defending the 05 Sprint over in rec.motorcycles and
alt.motorcycle.sportbike and having never ridden a new 05 Sprint I'm a
little lost about some of the complaints. Can anyone confirm any of the
following?

a)Hot seat and pillion rails from underseat exhaust?
aa) Higher general engine heat?
b)Some complain the new Sprint has lost it's silky smoothness. (higher
engine buzz)?
c)Headlights too bright?
d)I can confirm this one. The new square looking hard bags look sucky. Do
they leak water?
e)Is the new Fuel Injection as snatchy (off idle) as a stock Honda 929?

2)Unlike most you Easterners, we Zoners ride year round. Proof in photos
from old one legged, 60 year old, Bob Nixon from the last two weekends. Bike
troubles -0- @ 51,000 miles!

http://bigrex.net/pictures/Superior_AZ_11-20-05/Bob_Superior-Az-11-20-05.jpg
http://bigrex.net/pictures/TTF-11-26-05/Bob_TTF_11-26-05.jpg

Bob Nixon, Chandler, AZ