Re: [ST] Anyone used any of these, and can maybe make a recommendation?

Matt,

I have no direct experience with this specific product, but as a high end audio system consultant/contractor with 20 years in the business, here is my 2 cents regarding headsets, sound quality , and motorcycling:

The huge obstacle you must overcome on a bike to have any kind of fidelity is the windnoise. By definition, the earplug style units will work and sound much better than the the headphone types. It is more about suppressing the wind noise than overcoming it. Shear volume on top of the windnoise will be fatigueing and unpleasant. This is the only way the headphone models can function. The earplug styles should provide a seal, much like a set of traditional earplugs, supressing much of the wind. Also, dont worry about the small size of the transducer in the earplug, once you have a sealed enclosure, which you will if the unit seals properly, you will have a very small airspace to compress,  and therefore, minimal power requirements, more than sufficient bass, and a level of fidelity above the muted wind noise. That being said, there are variables in the quality of the earplug sets. If I were in the market , I think I would look at the units that always seem to be sold at the IX
 bike
 shows....These are the same folks that make a mold of your ear and make you a set of super quiet earplugs. Now they sell them will transducers inside as well. Again, by definition, this should be superior, assuming the quality of transducer is high.

Also, amplification can make a difference. There are several options for this, mostly a black box that is inserted between your source device and earplugs. While often touted as a device that allows you to run multiple earphones ( like for your passenger ), they also improve the quality of the power as well as the quantity. That extra bit of current and headroom does wonders for distortion, clarity, and low end frequency response. Low end torque is very important, in both motorcycling and audio.....  :-)   Do a google search for Chu Moy amplifiers and see what you turn up.

Personally, I have never wanted tunes on my bike. I suppose I might change my mind someday. As someone equally as passionate about high end audio as motorcycling, my thinking has always been that the two would not be a good mix....with all the background noise present, i.e, engine/mechanical ( which I assume most of us want to here ) , and wind ( which you can never totally suppress), I have always felt it would be next to impossible to create an acceptable level of fidelity ( for me ) to make it worth having tunes on the bike. The ride would just intrude too much on the listening.....AND, at least as important, the audio noise would intrude on the RIDE.....

My solution has always been to ride like hell all summer, and , around this time of year, put the bikes away, go inside and listen to my audio system, where several of my components cost as much as or more than some of my bikes. Yes, folks, like motorcycling , high end audio is also a disease...

But I am still always gadget curious, Matt. Let us know what you end up with and how you like it. Good luck, hope my babbling helps.

Juan Grande
Northeast Ohio, where its gettin pretty muckin cold....

Matthew Heyer <matthewheyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm looking at getting speakers/earphones for my helmet, and am trying to decide what to get. Sound quality is of high priority for me. I came across this, and was wondering if anyone had tried any of these and could comment an any. Thanks in advance.

http://www.motoguide.com/helmet_speakers.shtml

Matt Heyer