Re: [ST] Suspension

---- Mike Montville <mjmontville@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Have you experienced _any_ negative results from the 10mm move?  I've
> been curious whether this would significantly degrade straight-line
> stability or cornering clearance, or generate a headshake condition.
>
> Mike

It's important to get your preload/sag set correctly before screwing with  the forks and ride height. I have mine set for 30mm sag up front and 25mm in the rear (that's the difference between fully extended and with me in full gear sitting on the bike). Get that dialed in first.

I have nothing but good report about the fork height change. The Penske shock I had this season was 3mm longer than stock. That resulted in about a 10mm increase in rear ride height. The bike turned in a lot better beside the improvement in ride quality.

I recently sold the Penske since my Sprint has become my "other/beater" bike (I bought 2005 Kaw 636 sportbike) and noticed it was handling poorly. I re-tweaked the preload settings to get the sag correct and it was still not right. Lowered the front 10mm and it turns better IMO. I've noticed no instability or clearance issues, but I've only put a couple hundred miles on the  local sweepers with it setup like that. I'm not a peg-dragging kinda guy normally, so any reduced clearance is no big deal to me.

If you mostly ride twisties and want to have your bike turn in faster, try lowering the front 10mm and see if you like it. Aside from having to suspend the front end, it's only 6 bolts to loose to make the change. Easiest to do with the front wheel off, but I did it with the front still attached. I'll take the extra 5 minutes and remove the wheel next time.

Garry