Re: [ST] Oil Consumption

On 3 Oct 2005, at 15:13, Marc Van Est wrote:

It needed 300 millimeters of oil , last checked by the agents when the oil was changed at 1 000kms in May, and I've now done 5 500kms.

I'm not good at the miles - km conversion - but over 10,000 miles of varied riding (bike now a few hundred short of the 18K service) I've put in some oil - but I've just finished a 1 litre bottle that the guy I purchased the bike from gave me - and it was part used then. Of course the oil level would have been reset at each of the two services so far - but I reckon it is using about half a litre of oil per 10,000 miles. Which is quite a lot more than you seem to be seeing.

I suspect that all engines use some oil - but few as much as the BMW 1200 GS of I met a guy with a new one coming back from my recent trip around France (on the Eurotunnel train). His SO was fuming - his bottles of top-up oil had leaked in one of the panniers. He was only going from London to Paris and back (for the weekend) and considered it necessary to top up the sump at half way...

Best regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03