[ST] Re: NEW BIKE BREAK-IN ( RUNNING IN )

>>Below is a link to an American mechanic to has some very different
ideas/tests/results on the best way to treat / run in a new bike engine.

I have not seen this before on this forum and would like to hear back from the
experienced Triumph riders on their thoughts - anyone tried this - noticed
better
results ??
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
<<

Harry,

This is a subject that has indeed been the subject of some 'discussion' since
motors were invented - on that point he is correct.  I've seen guys thrash
their bikes from day one (ignoring documented run-in proceedures) with no ill-
effects, I have also seen the same method applied resulting in expensive
repairs.  I'm not sure if this guy has more knowledge than the combined
expertise of Triumph engineeers?  Perhaps that is a thought worth
contemplating.

I've had three ST's from new which I have run in 'by the book' and have had no
problems with power loss.  My only *golden rule* is not to labour the motor
during the run-in period, eg riding the bike in top gear whilst doing 10kph.
Another good tip is to find a big hill with lots of curves somewhere soon after
picking up the bike and ride up using the lowest gears possible (without over-
revving) - the Old Pacific Hwy is ideal for this.  Another tip is to stay off
the freeway for the first 100 kilometers or so.  Long stints in the same gear
without varying revs is possibly the worst thing to do.

Mick
BRG ST