Re: [ST] ST: Neutral Switch Oil Leak

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, triumph1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have a rather vexing problem with my '03 Sprint and I'm hoping someone can
offer a suggestion on how to fix it.  Some months ago I noticed a small puddle
of oil had accumulated under the neutral light switch (left hand side of the
motor just above the gear lever).   As the bike is still covered by warranty I
left it to the dealership to fix.  Now, after three trips back to them
(including leaving the bike there for 3 days whilst they tried and tested) the
thing still leaks oil.  They have tried replacing the seal, the entire switch
and the seal, the washer underneath and the last attempt appears to be a fibre
washer under the switch.  It only appears to start leaking after I take it for
a longish ride and get the oil hot.  Can anybody offer a reason or perhaps a
fix?

Mick - how certain are you (or your dealership) that it is coming from there? Might it be coming from further up and or in and just dripping down to that point?

The reason I'm asking is that the airbox breather tube is "behind there" (in a general sense) and could be leaking oil if your crankcase breather valve is leaking oil into the airbox. When that happened on my bike, the oil also didn't show up until the engine was warm and running for a while and where the oil ended up was largely a function of how I pointed the tube. Mostly mine seemed to drip down the swingarm, but if it was angled back I could see it ending up where yours is.

Paul