[ST] Center stand question

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I need some advice on using the Sprint ST centerstand.

I've read the manual, which says use the side handle and lift the bike up and back using the side handle while stepping on the footppeg of the centerstand. Last time I did this I quickly launched the bike over onto it's right side into my Guzzi, which was sitting comfortably on it's centerstand.

Since that learning experience I've been grabbing both handlebars while stepping on the centerstand footpeg and just grunting it up on the stand, but it seems akward and often doesn't work.

Is there a better way to do this or am I just an idiot who can't get it up? ;-)

Thanks.