[ST] RE: ST-triumphnet.com Digest, Vol 7, Issue 16

>Message: 3
>Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:49:25 -0400
>From: "Rich Pardo" <richpardo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ST] Center stand question
>To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I need some advice on using the
>Sprint ST centerstand.

>I've read the manual, which says use the side handle and lift the bike up
>and back using the side handle while stepping on the footppeg of the
>centerstand.  Last time I did this I quickly launched the bike over onto
>it's right side into my Guzzi, which was sitting comfortably on it's
>centerstand.

>Since that learning experience I've been grabbing both handlebars while
>stepping on the centerstand footpeg and just grunting it up on the stand,
>but it seems akward and often doesn't work.

>Is there a better way to do this or am I just an idiot who can't get it up?
>;-)
>Thanks.

I always found my Sprint's center stand a pain (even before my deer
accident). Now I just can't get in on the center stand without some help. My
right leg is carbon fiber from the knee down now so I just don't have the
lifting power or at least not yet. Someone suggested a stick for leverage
but that only seems even more likely that I'll drop the bike on it's side. I
usually get my neighbor or a relative to help but this isn't good either
because I always get the lecture. "I don't see why in the world you're still
riding motorcycles after what happened to you & bla...bla....bla.." Some
folks just don't understand that after riding for more than thirty years,
you just don't stop riding else you might as well be in your grave.

Anyway, the Sprint has always been a bitch for my 150 pound frame to muscle
up on the centerstand. Sometimes you really need that centerstand (cleaning
or removing wheel, lubing chain and easy tire pressure check) but to the
good it's never drug on the ground (fairing and pegs do though) but never
that center stand tang, like the FJR-1300's or my "old" Japanese UJM's.
(last one a 78 GS1000E). My newer Sukuki's (SV-650 & GSXR1000) never had
center stands but then pitpull stands are also a pain of sorts. Getting old
(60 now)and busted up, is just something I'll have to deal with, sigh....

BTW, here's is a couple more of my onboard videos (30-40 megs ea) I put up
on my site. One is on the track and breaks up a bit but the other is in the
canyon (moderate pace)and has fades and background music (full home
production -:).

http://bigrex.net/pictures/Videos/GSXR1K3.wmv
http://bigrex.net/pictures/FireBird-E_TD.MPG

Also some trackday (Firebird main)photos this weekend of our local PHX "
scratchers" club control riders, Steve Keith, Mike Stein & Tyler
Smith-(currently on the injured list due to a CCS getoff).

http://bigrex.net/pictures/Track_Day10-9-05/Steve&MikeTD.jpg
http://bigrex.net/pictures/Track_Day10-9-05/MikeS_TD.jpg
http://bigrex.net/pictures/Track_Day10-9-05/TylerTD.jpg

Also the week before, we had "Code's CA Superbike School" in town and the
photos in the directory below are of SW pilot friend/Trophy rider Paul
Madnzuk and his classes. I also know one of the instructors (Andy Burnett)
from "alt.motorcycle.sportbike" and we took him to diner/airport that
Saturday evening.

http://bigrex.net/pictures/Code_School/ (pictures in the FTP directory)
FireBird West track.

Enjoy and cheers to all you Sprinters...
Bob Nixon, 01 Sprint ST "RED" 50K miles, Chandler Az.
http://bigrex.net/pictures/June%20_05/Photos/BOB%2005-01-05A.jpg
http://bigrex.net/pictures