From: simonb@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: st@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:18:16 +0100
Subject: Re: [ST] Backing it in (was ABS)

Quoting Matt Heyer <mattheyer@xxxxxxxxx>:

> I couldn't agree more. There seems to be a distinct advantage to those
> people who have either put in a lot of dirt time, or grew up riding dirt
> bikes first (that's me). There is much less panic and much more control when
> things get a little slippy, or if the back tire starts to break loose. I
> think it's just being comfortable with the bike moving around underneath
> you, and having a good feel for what the bike is doing and how to handle it
> when the tires slide for whatever reason.
>  Huge recommendation for those who haven't: purchase a dirt bike (they're
> relatively cheap, especially used) and go have some fun off road. You'll be
> that much more confident on the road.

One small point to remeber though. When it all starts to go tits up on a dirt
bike it's common practice to give it a load of welly. This lifts the front
wheel and you use body weight to direct the bike in the direction you want to
go. Now I've seen a MX mate of mine leave the road on his Blade and apply the
same sort of method. Of course all it did was rcket him back onto the road
from a two foot high bank. Blade suspension is not as long travel as a MX
bike(12"). It was very funny to watch. He didn't fall off though. :)
--
SimonB