Re: [ST] DN01 Transmission musings

F1 uses pneumatically shifted straight cut sequential gearboxes, more
like our traditional motorcycle gearboxes. This is a CVT (continuously
variable transmission), which have showed up in cages from Honda,
Nissan, and Audi, among others. It doesn't use a set of gears like a
traditional transmission, and offers infinitely variable gear ratios.
I'm not really up on the mechanics of it all, most use a combination of
pulleys I think.

What this allows is for the engine to stay at peak torque RPM (or peak
efficiency RPM, depending on mode) while you accelerate and cruise. What
you get is a smooth acceleration while the engine stays at the same
speed. Really strange feeling to be accelerating without the engine
changing note. I've driven a street Audi A4 as well as an open wheeled
racecar with this type of transmission. It's weird.

In any case, yah, no missed shifts, 'cause there's no shifts to perform.
The "6 speed manual mode" is there to quell the CVT naysayers, as it's
actually forcing the transmission to emulate a traditional gearbox.
There's no reason to have it do that at all.

CVT is neat technology, and I can definitely see its use in motorcycles.
I think I'd still miss rowing through the box a bit tho.

- Jeff in CO