Re: [ST] DN01 Transmission musings

>CVT is neat technology, and I can definitely see its use in
>motorcycles. I think I'd still miss rowing through the
>box a bit tho. - Jeff in CO

Let's look at another concept then, presented by Suzuki
during the Paris show a few week ago. The Katana is back, in
the shape of the Stratosphere. 6 cilinder in line, 1100cc,
180 hp. Adjustable screen, bars and pegs. And even optional
sidecases. Special attention to the automatic shift system,
which retains the full mechanical clutch "to preserve the
joy of motorcycle operation". So you can choose to let
the machine do it for you, or go all manual. I know from
Burgman 650 riders (the AN650 has manual and auto modes)
that the feature sounds cool, but in the end they all just
use the automatic mode except when riding on the track.
But the Stratosphere, besides the looks perhaps, does
seem to belong in the Sprint ST arena....

More on the Stratosphere:
http://tokyo2005.suzuki.co.jp/motor/EN/cm/

More on the SECVT of the Burgman 650:
http://www.globalsuzuki.com/motorcycle/moto/burgman650/pi_1.html