Re: [ST] DN01 Transmission musings

>From: brettwilson21@xxxxxxx
>Thanks for that explanation Jeff. It certainly gives me a different
>perspective on this type of technology/system.  I really want to
>ride one and see what its like. Will it catch on in our world of
>motorcycling? Brett Sydney.
>From: Baysinger, Jeffrey S (Jeff) <jbaysinger@xxxxxxxxx>
>CVT is neat technology, and I can definitely see its use in motorcycles.
>I think I'd still miss rowing through the box a bit tho.

Try arranging a test ride on a Yamaha T-max, Brett. You'll like it.
I'm guessing most motorcycles in the world actually have CVT. All
the scoots you see in Asia and southern Europe are CVT. It started
with the Dutch DAF car (they just make trucks now), which was able
to drive forward just as fast as backwards :-). So in a way, the
CVT has catched on more than conventional manual boxes.

Here's what a T-max looks like: http://asozan.jmfi.com/ (check out
gallery 1 and 2), sold in Aussieland as well. The 2004+ models are best.
The T-max and Burgman 650 have a motorcycle steering geometry, centrally
placed engine and motorcycle suspension. The DN01 is the same principle,
they just filled in the space between the knees and gave it slightly
bigger wheels. Looks can do a lot...

Emile
www.piloot.com