Re: [ST] Wind Screens

>From: Matt Heyer
>hmmmm...interesting. I'm working with a stock screen and risers right now.
>And I'm 6' 1". Wonder where that leaves me... Matt Heyer
> On 10/24/05, Barry Croft <barrycroft@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've got the sport touring ZG screen on my RS. Although it's quite a bit
> taller than stock I still find more head buffeting going on at speed

I'm 6'3", I believe with 38" inseam. On the ST1100 and PC800 I had huge
screens which I could just look over. That's the only way to keep visor
open up to 200 km/h, sort of a goldwing effect. On the T-max and R1150GS
I experienced much more with low screens and an adjustable MRA screen
for the GS. On my XJ600S I tried a flip up once, that was terrible.

I think it's safe to say that the most comfortable screen in terms of
noise / turbulence (same cause) is the screen that is low enough to
keep the helmet in clean blast even at higher speed, but wide enough
to keep the torso and arms out of the blast. If you want more comfort
against cold air coming at you, than the next best thing is a screen
that is so high that you can just look over it. And being over 6 foot,
that means a pretty tall screen. And that also means a lot of backdraft
(even heavier on the wrists) and other low rumbling turbulence.

Anything not very low or very high will aim the always turbulent
boundary layer (between clean blast and still air behind the screen)
at the riders head. I think tiny riders can benefit from huge flip
up screens, but anybody from average to tall will only gain noise
and turbulence from screens not goldwing length. At least, that's
my experience. I love the Sprint's stock screen. In winter I just
need a proper, wind and waterproof collar.

MRA seems to have a vario touringscreen (no pic):
http://www.mra.de/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9333_9618_10014
Also for the Sprint ST 1050:
http://www.mra.de/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9333_9619_10015
I guess the varioscreen looks like this:
http://www.mra.de/html/gb/vt.htm

Emile
www.piloot.com