Re: [ST] RE: ST-triumphnet.com Digest, Vol 6, Issue 8

Have to agree with you here. On my two rides this weekend, it was reinforced a couple of times.

First Incident:
Sitting at the store in Dinsmore on Hwy 36, two Harleys ride up with open pipes. I notice on one of them a weird protuberance on the side of his motor that I've never seen on a Harley before. I first thought maybe it was a turbocharger, but then I noticed what appeared to be ignition wires coming out of it. So I asked the guy, what the hell is that thing. He went on to explain it was a magneto, and how it offered better performance than coils, along with better fuel mileage, blah, blah, blah. I didn't say it but perhaps I should have, "That is the wrong bike to be riding if you are at all concerned about performance and/or gas mileage". This was confirmed a few minutes later when I caught up to them on the road and they were actually pulling over to let cars pass them. What a disgrace!

Second incident:
Next day, riding two up on my KLR going over to the coast I quickly catch up to another Harley rider who is poking along. Even with my wife on the back which acts as a physical and mental throttle controller (hey we're talking 50 horsepower here) I was easily going along 10-15 mph faster than the Harley. So does he let me by? No he hugs the outside line any time I made an attempt to pass. This road being very curvy there weren't that many places to pass him, but there were places for him to pull over, or he could have hugged the right and let me pass. When I finally did get to a straight where I could pass him, as soon as I got along side him he gunned it, making for a very exciting pass. Had I been on the Sprint, he would have been left in the dust, but the KLR didn't have much in reserve. Did make it around him in time for the next corner just barely. By the next corner, I couldn't see him in my mirrors.