RE: [ST] leaded petrol question

Richard Masiak wrote on Thursday, September 08, 2005 1:16 PM
"You're probably right.  Can't guess.  However I could probably guess that it shouldn't cause problems if you don't have a catalytic converter."

I don't get it at all.  Catalytic converter converts CO to CO2 in the presents of Platinum if there is enough O2 in the mix.  Lead converts to lead oxide, also in the presents of Platinum, and the lead oxide covers the platinum, removing said platinum from the mix.  If there is no catalytic converter then you can run leaded fuel.  BUT the lead was put into the gas to increase that all important octane.  Higher octane gas reduces or eliminates the "diesel" pre-ignition (the fuel mixture igniting from compression).  So...
Does the Sprint have a catalytic converter?
What would the lead do to stop your pipes from popping during overrun?
I do not know...