[ST] New "old tire" question

I've got a 2001 ST with about 4200 miles on it.

I'm still using the original tires, but today I noticed a kind of ridge forming on the rear tire. So instead of the tire shape being perfectly round, it apears slightly squared on the left at about 7 or 8 o'clock uniformly on the entire tire.

Question 1, what might cause this?
Question 2, are 4 year old tires still safe to use, if they're not ed or dried out?
Question 3, For riding in the North East, NY Metro area, Michelin Pilot Roads or Avon Azaros ?

Thanks!

-Rich