[ST] Incredible Growing Tank

I'm really confused.  I've had my tank off for a couple of weeks.  Changed fuel filter, sending unit, metal QDs, etc.  Also installed my Ohlins, so you'll understand why I was a tad bummed that I couldn't get it back together and ride to work tonight. The reason, the tank won't go back in!  I played with it for over an hour, relocated cables, hoses, etc.  Basically, the rear edge of the tank (where the pump/filter/reg. plate mounts) is hitting the weld on the right side of the frame by the bit where the upper shock mount sits.  With the tank all the way back, and the rear mounting holes lined up, the front hole was over 1/4" to far forward.  It's as if the tank grew 1/2" while it was off.   I ended up getting it in by prying the tank back a touch (and chipping a bit of paint off in the process) but it's not right.
I have NO idea whats up.  Anyone????
David
'99ST