Re: [ST] Spastic turn signals

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Rupert Galea wrote:

> On 9/9/05, Brian Nobles <thenobles@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I bought some Lockhart Phillips Short Stalk III LED turn signals (like
> > these: http://www.newportcycleparts.com/categories/electrical/turn_sigs-short.htm).
> >
> > They work great but... now my signals flash at about a rate of 3x's per second.
> >
> > Anybody know how I can get them to slow down?
> >
> > I assume it has something to do with resistance or ohms or watts or
> > volts or something else like that (I can barely spell elektrickle let
> > alone speak intelligently about it).
>
> You need to add a resistor
> http://www.customdynamics.com/led_motorcycle_lighting_faqs.htm

Bringing the resistance (and wattage) of your LED signals back up to the
same as your original bulbs in order for the original flasher relay to
work. Thus destroying any possible value of going to LEDs in the first
place (power savings) and then you get to live with the reduced viewing angle that the LEDS have.

What you *really* want to do is replace the turn signal relay with one
sized for the lower power draw of the LEDs. This is a pretty common
problem on 4-wheeled vehicles when you ad a trailer and suddenly you've
got twice the power draw on your turn signals - the original relay doesn't
work any more.

Unless of course it is just a matter of having a separate wire controlling
flash and the original relay *can* handle the power difference & the
"flash" signal just isn't getting through. In that case the fix referred
to by others will work.