Re: [ST] Spastic turn signals

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Neil Lindsey wrote:

> I just HAD to jump in here.
>
> There is no relay.  There is an Indicator Unit and no, this is not just
> a case of semantics. It is the OUTPUT of this flasher unit that is
> directed (by way of the turn signal switch) to either the left- or
> right-side indicators depending on which way you throw the switch.
> Therefore the entire load current drawn by the signals IS passing
> through the turnsignal switch.  Any decrease in this load current can
> change the flash rate.  So you would need the additional 'load
> equalizing' resistors to increase the total current drawn from the
> flasher unit.

Okay, gotcha, no relay with this system.

I probably could have been more accurate and said "flasher relay" - it is
different from a standard relay. A standard relay's sole purpose is as you
say to allow a low current controller circuit (ignition key for example)
enable/disable a much higher current circuit without having to carry that
current directly. Turn signals don't really draw that much current but
they typically (apparently not on our bike) do use a "Flasher relay" (turn
signal relay). The purpose of this type of relay is to flash the lights at
a timed interval and not so much to separate high/low current circuits.

And I stand by my original complaint - adding resistors so that the LED
circuit draws the same current as the original indicators destroys any
value that LED turn signals might add.