Re: [ST] Radar

In a previous email, Zoltan Pavlakovich stated:
I was kind of bummed because I know of all the hiding places along the route.

No you didn't but now you do. ;-)

So my question is - does anybody have a good reliable radar detector that one can recommend. I know there are a whole bunch out there but is there one out there that is worth looking at?

Over the years several people here have extolled the virtues of the Valentine 1. Try searching the archives for "Valentine."

Would like to hear of good ticket stories too.

No MC but it's a ticket story. Several years ago, Hartford, Connecticut, I was driving down New Park Avenue past the Royal Typewriter factory where the speed limit was 30mph. (No. It wasn't that long ago. The factory had been closed for years.) My wife and newborn son were in the car with me. (If you must ask. It was a '66 Mustang and the newborn is now a junior in college.) Suddenly the cherry top was behind me. I pulled over and the cop approached the car. Before he could say anything I initiated the conversation.

Me: "Hi. How are you?"
Cop: "OK. Can I see your license and registration?"
Me: "Sure. Whatcha catch me doing?"
Cop: "What did you think you were doing?"
Me: "I don't know. 35?"
Cop: "I clocked you at 44."
Me: "WHOA! Was I really going that fast?"
Cop: "Yep."
Me: "Sorry."

The cop goes back to his car and writes the ticket.

My wife and I worked at the Hartford Civic Center selling souvenirs at games, concerts etc. Usually the cops on duty at the event would come to our stands and ask us to watch their jackets. If they asked us we would hold onto them. If they told to watch them us we would tell them that we couldn't. On the night of the day that I got the ticket was a Whaler's game. One cop approached my wife's stand and asked her if she could watch his jacket.

Wife: "You! Weren't you on New Park today?"
Cop: "Yes."
Wife: "You gave my husband a ticket!"
The cop pauses, looks at her trying to remember her when it hits him.
Cop: "Oh yeah. You know you were the nicest people that I pulled over today?"
Wife: "And you still gave my husband a ticket."
He apologized and my wife watched his jacket.

A week later I got a letter in the mail saying that the ticket had been dismissed.

-- Steve Lawler Verona, NJ, USA

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"The first duty of a revolutionary is to get away with it."
            -- Abbie Hoffman