Re: [ST] Front fork bottoming with RT Valves.

There is a small spring under the damper rod to cushion topping the fork, there is nothing to cushion bottoming the fork. I'm thinking your forks are not set up properly if you are bottoming them on a speed bump, or you are hitting the bump way too fast and hard.

If you have 20,000 miles more or less on stock forks, your springs are sacked out and it's time to put race tech in there anyway (up through 04 years). Check your steering head bearings for play and service them if you haven't done so yet. Rebuild your forks, new springs and Race Tech if you have the dough.

I weigh over 220 pounds and have never bottomed the fork. Current setup is two turns on the RT emulators, 3mm on the tubes over the upper triple clamp, 10wt fork oil at 150mm from top (forks on bike on center stand), two turns on preload from full out, using 1kg race tech springs.

Every time I take the forks apart, clean and reassemble (every year/about 12,000 miles), the bike feels like new again. It's an amazing difference. I'm still not completely satisfied with the front end setup, but I get it closer each year. Maybe by the time I hit 100,000 miles I'll finally have it right!

Dan Wallander
Albuquerque, NM

simonb@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

When I hit something like a sleeping policeman the front forks bottom with
quite a bang. At first I'd thought I'd buckled the wheel. Do I need to put
more oil in the forks to stop this?
How are the bump stops supposed to work. Is it mechanical coil compression or
is it hydraulic?
--
SimonB