Re: [Re][ST] Front fork bottoming with RT Valves.

Quoting sprint_st@xxxxxxx:

> What kind of springs you have "should" be the deciding factor in fork
> travel.  The damper RT, rod or cartridge just adjusts how the spring
> reacts to the impact, hopefully in both directions.  The oil, I believe,
> could be considered just part of the damping mechanism.  So if you are
> bottoming your forks, in my opinion, I would look at the spring rate as
> the most likely culprit. RT's should have 15wt oil which should be heavy
> enough and you could start with 2.5 turns on the emulator but things will
> get pretty stiff from there on up. Even those factors shouldn't offset
> what you are describing if your springs are too light.
>
> I run 235 lbs and have only come close to bottoming once.  It was at the
> bottom of hill, I was flying and there was depression in the asphault from
> a rain storm.  I hit it an went airborne. That was pre-RT's but with
> HyperPro's. I didn't hear a clunk and it felt more like a pogo stick
> launch.  Definitely more intense than a speed bump.

This was a speed bump in france. No indication it was there. It bottomed the
front forks then the rear ohlins and lanched my misses into the air. The
damping is OK. It's just the bump stop on the front forks. A very high spring
rate might have stoped it bottoming but then the forks would be very stiff for
normal use. I have 15wt oil.

--
SimonB