Re: [ST] Front fork bottoming with RT Valves

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 15:15 +0000, sprint_st@xxxxxxx wrote:
> "The clunk was followed by the bars comming up."
>
> WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THE "bars coming up"?????????  I hope you mean that
> the forks compress until the clunk then they start to decompress only
> after you hear the clunk.

The forks bottomed, the wheel was still moving up, so the bars move up.

> First of all there is only one hole in a stock damper rod.  There should
> be six large ones to defeat any damping by the rod when a RT emulator is
> installed.

Yes indeed.

>  It would take one helluva blast to unseat the emulator. I mean
> blast not bump.  Even a weak spring will hold the emulator in place and
> the diaphram of emulator would have to be screwed so tight that it
> wouldn't flow any oil.

True enough.

> Did you replace the springs when you put in the emulators?

Yes

>   If so with
> what spring rate?

1kg/m

>   Did you, or did someone else check the sag after the
> install?

Yes I did

>  This smells like the space may have been cut wrong or not put in
> at all.

It was OK when it was originally done. I have a suspicion the oil has
gone all watery again. I will have to check

I just wanted to find out if anyone knew what the bump stop mechanism
was supposed to be. I guess hydraulic. Must forks are.