[ST] Chain and Sprocket Replacement, '02 ST

Rik,
I just did my 02 ST's chain and sprockets.  The following is what I
learned from my experience, others may disagree.
1. I got a DID 530VM chain for about $110 USD. There are cheaper ones but
I think this one is the generally accepted "best bank for the buck."
2. I got two steel JT sprockets.  18T and 43T at about $18 and $47.  There
are AFAM kits with the same chain and AFAM sprockets for about $180.  If
you want 45T you can get steel or alloy on your side of the pond, steel is
hard to find here and it jumps to about $80, give or take.  I bought an RK
breaker/riviter for about $80.  I like it.  Motion Pro sells one at
$90-100 and DID has one too.  You can grind off the old chain, but I'm too
fond of my hind quarters to cheap out on the riviter.  You might be able
to rent, beg, borrow or steal(not mine, please) one to save some bucks.
3. At 14K miles, my chain may have needed replacement (failed the measure
the links test but did not show daylight on the pull the chain on the back
sprocket test)BUT, the teeth on my sprockets did not look much different
from the new ones. Considering I'm using steel, I'm going to look before I
buy next time no matter what the experts say.

Hope this helps,
Rod