RE: [ST] Heli Bars

One negative about the Heli Bars.... They don't work with the heated grips. Or at least my local dealer was unable to make them fit. I had to go back to the standard bars. I miss the Heli's, so I'm looking at the Gen-Mars and since I already have the longer cables, I'll only need the $99 for the RS instead of the ST version.

--Joel

From: "Richard Marcus" <rich.marcus@xxxxxxxxxxx> Reply-To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx To: <st-triumphnet.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [ST] Heli Bars Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:10:46 -0700

Rich,

I went from the Gen-Mars to Heli Multi-Adjustables.  First, they are not
cheap; about $300 USD.

Do they put me in a more relaxed (read: upright position) than the Gen-Mars?
Yes.  But with the following notes:

1.  I needed to get a longer clutch cable made.  Somewhere in the range of
1.5-1.75 inches.  Flanders in Pasadena took care of that for about $25.  I
was able to get an old ST cable, so they were able to use the support tube
from it on my new cable.

2.  I wasn't able to move the bars back as far as they could go because one
of my considerations was to ensure that neither the fairing nor the tank was
in contact with the bars at either full-lock left or full-lock right.  So,
given this constraint, I had to compromise.  That is, I got the bars moved
as far back as I possibly could, without contacting the tank or fairing as
full-lock.

Did they make a difference?  Yes.  The change in my riding position is
subtle, but as with anything having to due with ergonomics, small changes
have large results.  I'm more comfortable for longer periods of time than
with the Gen-Mars.  I'm glad I got them.  And if my fairing/tank
interference issues were not there, then these bars could be moved back even
farther, closer towards my "ideal" position.

Also, if I remember correctly, Rick (forget his last name) on the list has
taken a slightly different approach by using the Heli and a tubular
handlebar.  And I think that he's been really happy with that approach.

Also, here's what Heli said about their kit when I asked them about what kit
I should use and how much it re-positions the bars:

" Thank you for your inquiry.  Yes the Heli Bars HB9908 is the correct MTS
kit for your 2001 Triumph Sprint ST.  If you extend the MTS bars to their
full potential you will need longer cables, other than that we send you
everything else that you need.  The House of Handlebars is still one of our
dealers.  And yes the kit will move up to 2" taller and up to 1 1/2"  closer
to you. Most people find that they don't want to get the full extension, and
we have heard a lot of good things about these bars.  I hope this answers
all of your questions.  If not, ask away and I will answer you as best I
can. Ride Safe Carol / Sales

Hope this helps a bit,

Rich M.
2001 ST