[ST] Thanks for advice I got on silencer, tires, etc. re. 2002 Sprint ST

Hi,
Thanks to those who emailed me. I just got back from Kingston, Ontario. I think I've given the owners at Tony's Cycle their Christmas spending money! After they changed my oil last month and it came out black as tar, and a check of the Triumph systems discovered the original owner never had recall work done, and I had doubts if he really made sure the Triumph carbon pipe was indeed put on by a Triumph dealer, I decided I better get as much maintenance done on it as possible before it's tucked away for winter. I took it down and stayed over at a reasonably priced motel nearby so they could do the recall work, a valve check on the cold engine as well as replace the fluids, coolant, check the tuning. They found the fork fluid was in bad shape. Sure enough the tuning for the pipe was way out of date, if it was every right to begin with, so they downloaded the most current program. The changes were subtle, but I could tell on the way back from Kingston that the new settings made a difference to the throaty roar of the carbon silcencer. Before I took it down the bike would idle around 1500 rpm. It's now idling at 1000 and the silencer sounds great.

At least now I know my baby is in good shape and if I every sell it I'll make sure to keep all the documentation so the next owner knows I at least did the basic maintenance. I also made sure to ask about how to put her away for the winter. The original owner said he ran it dry because of the plastic gas tank and not having to worry about it rusting. Tony's told me that was NOT the way to put it away because the fuel pump in the tank should always be submerged in gas, even during storage. I'm going make sure to fill it up with fuel stabilizer, give it a good run and then drain the hot oil and put fresh stuff in.

I think Triumph should have a "black list" of people, including the original owner of my bike, who are not worthy of owning a Triumph and show such disrespect by not having recall work done, frequent oil changes, and basic maintenance performed.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a nice October and some good riding and golfing weather! If anyone is coming through Peterborough drop by and say hello!

Jim

Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special stationery, fonts and colors. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.