RE: [ST] MOTARD 2005

>From: iPat
>its too slow as the pictures are too large but it looks
>like a great trip.

If your (broadband) connection is too slow the standard
slideshow might not work well. But you can also customize
a slideshow by clicking on the Style selector in the top,
then select slideshow. That one might work better for you.
> http://piloot.smugmug.com/gallery/828616/

>What were your fuel figures like this time? Were you doing this
>faster?

Pretty much the same as in Croatia. We did reasonably legalish
speeds thru France, riding a constant 130 to 140 km/h indicated
(ca. 80 - 90 mph, 130 km/h / 80mph is legal there). That was
on the tollroads to the south which gave both Markus and me a
mileage of 21 km per liter (59mpg UK / 49mpg US). The R1150RT
still got almost 20 km per liter, which was fairly good for him.

In the canyons on the fun roads the differences got bigger
though. We canyoncarving thru the Gorges du Tarn and other
tiny roads (sporty style, but low average speed) both Markus
and I got around 22 km per liter constantly (62mpg UK / 52mpgUS)
while the RT was getting more like 18 km per liter then
(51mpg UK / 42mpg US). Every time we refueled the RT had to
take 3 more liters compared to the Sprint. At around 1.30 euro
per liter down in France (more than 1.50 per liter euro in Holland
now) that's quite a saving every time.

In the mountains and French Alps me and Kees (RT) raced each
other over entire mountain passes, really putting on full throttle
continuously after every hairpin and paperclip, sometimes reaching
140 km/h on downhill stretches that were straightish. Definitely
not legal, but it sure was fun :-). Markus is okay in turns but
his style is not blasting up (nor down) a mountain at full throttle,
he likes a constant pace which me and Kees enjoyed most of the
tour as well. The full throttle chases got me around 19+ km per liter
(54mpg Uk / 45mphg US) still, interesting enough Markus (arriving a
few minutes later down those mountains) still got the same mileage as
I did. But the RT really showed it wasn't very economical when
accelerating and decelerating (also had to give it all to keep
up with me on straight accelerations of course), making only 15
km per liters after those blasts (42mpg UK / 35mpg US). Riding
thru traffic jams on the Paris ring and thru downtown following
the GPS to the Arc de Triumph also gave the RT similar figures.
It seems economical at higher, constant speed. The Sprint (pre
2002 at least) seems just economical all the time no matter
what you do :-).

>I was going to take mine out for a run to measure teh mpg but had an
>accident in my sport training which wouldnt allow me to take my leg
>over the bike for a couple of weeks. This weekend though!

Glad it's only a temporary injury, iPat. I guess sport isn't that
healthy all the time ;-).

Emile
www.piloot.com