Re: [ST] Heated Grips

Seeing as I live in IL and commute on my bike (until the snow flies), I
haggled with the dealer, and got the grips thrown in with my bike.  If I
was going to buy them on my own, I'd go with the dual stars.

Pluses to the Triumph grips:
Plug and Play (connection is easy, fairly simple install for those DIY
people)
"Factory" accessory (whatever that means)

Minuses:
You're supposed to cut a rectangle out of your beautiful (in my case
BLUE) fairing for the switch. *
The grips don't fit perfectly (I have a 1/8" gap between the grip and
the bar end weight on my clutch side).
Two settings - High and Low

* I know there are other places to mount the switch, I'm just referring
to the mounting instructions...

The Dual Star kit gives you a choice in grips, but the install is a
little more labor intensive.

Whatever method you choose, think about a rheostat type control rather
than a switch...

Good luck!
Dan

>>> jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 9/29/2005 9:01 AM >>>
Living in FL, I've not paid attention to the discussions on heated
grips (other than to see that when it is cold, they are a must-have),

figuring that since I don't much like the cold I'd just schedule my
trips for the summer so I could be warm.  However, I'm now
considering a trip to western VA in the beginning of November (going
to crew for a 13-hour race at VIR for some friends), and I'm thinking

heated grips might be kind of nice.

I've done some googling to see what is available, there is a variety
of options:

Triumph heated grips:  $180
http://www.triumphnet.com/rs/acc/heated_grips.htm

Hot Grips: $110
http://www.hotgrips.com/triumph-motorcycles.html

Dual Star: $30
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm

Somewhere I saw a sort of external grip sleeve, I guess for a
temporary installation?

The Triumph and Hot Grips products include a thicker grip with the
heating elements molded into the grip.  The Dual Star unit is a
simple heating element that goes under a regular grip.

I'd like some feedback from those who have used the various units.
Why the price difference, are the more expensive units really worth
it?

Since I live in southern FL, I will almost never use them.  It is
cool enough here for about 1 month, and since I don't care much for
cold, I will probably rarely ride up north when it will be cold.
However, I realize that when you need them, they are definitely worth

having.

Jim

www.packereng.com