Re: [ST] Aerostitch

On Apr 2, 2006, at 5:52 AM, Dave Bardell wrote:
> Would appreciate any feedback on the Aerostitch suits.

Note that Aerostich recommend the Darien for wearing over work
clothes, since it's a roomier cut than the Roadcrafter, so that's
been my choice over the Roadcrafter. I've been told that there are
some other subtle difference between the two two-piece outfits, but
I've never seen a comprehensive, definitive list of them.

I'm on my second 'stich Darien (two-piece). The first one lasted a
little over 7/60 (years/K miles). My low-side that totaled my ST also
put a nickel-sized hole in the knee and elbow, so I sent it back to
Aerostich to get fixed. The GoreTex was worn away in enough places
that they recommended a new suit and gave me a discount on it. (They
would have repaired the old one if I preferred, however.)

Note that they're using a heavier-duty GoreTex in the latest suits,
so the lining may hold up longer.

I've worn the Darien on multiple trips around the country, in temps
from the low 30's to over 100. I commute to work in it on a regular
basis and find it has plenty of room to go on over my business casual
attire, and even the occasional coat and tie. I'm in or out of the
gear in about 20 seconds.

I'd recommend electrics below 45, and be prepared to sweat above 80
if you get stuck in traffic, but the suit has always kept me dry and
safe. If most of your riding is in hot weather I'd give a serious
look at the Motoport breathable suits instead. The only drawback to
these suits is that the waterproof liner is zip-out and, of course,
it blocks most of the air when in use. God has a good sense of humor,
so he'll try to get you wet before you have a chance to get the liner
on. (No such problem with the 'stich.)

Order the optional back protector and hip pads, and wear ATGATT.

Downsides? I really wish they'd put a pocket in the back for a water
bladder and include a pass-through in the front for a drinking hose.
Any time I'm traveling by bike I wear a CamelBak to make sure I stay
hydrated. So, either the CamelBak goes on over my jacket and I have
to fumble with extra straps and stuff every time I get in and out of
my gear--and have the CamelBak block a good portion of the rear vent
and reflective stripe--or I wear it under my jacket and look like a
hunchback--and still have extra straps to deal with.

The Darien's collar, for some unknown reason, isn't lined like the
Roadcrafter's. It doesn't bother me at all, but it does bother some
other folks. AnnieGS will sew a nice Ultrasuede liner to fix that for
you; see <http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76787>.

If you cinch the waist straps it causes the fabric around the waist
pockets to buckle, making it hard to work the zippers on those
pockets with one hand.

Those are pretty minor nits, so obviously I'm pretty happy with the
suit.
--
Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxx>
<http://sobiloff.typepad.com/>