Re: [ST] fitted new rear tyre vs. getting older

>From: Matthew Heyer
>Bridgestones usually get some good mileage.
>> From: Markus Clarijs <daftspeed@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> The previous one (same kind of tyre) lasted 14.952 km
>> Note: I usually change rear-tyres every 10.000km.
>> Note 2: My front tyre will be gone in about 1.500km and has
>> already lasted 17.500km !  Am I starting to become an old fart?

Old fart? Ehmmm.. yeah, I guess so. Having seen you ride in the
French Alps... I mean.. come on... can't keep up with an R1150RT? ;-)

The first original BT057's burned quickly, front and back replaced
very worn after 10.000 km. I then mounted Metzeler Z6 front and back,
the back was replaced (on the cords) after about 11.000 km, very square.
The front Z6 has just been replaced (on the wear indicator), which means
it lasted 20.000 km(!). The rear is now a Michelin Pilot Road which is
approaching the wear indicator, by the time it reaches that it will have
lasted around 12.000 km or so.

I must be getting younger, since the Metzler Tourances on my GS lasted
close to 40.000 km :-). The T-max tires (rear at least) had to be replaced
around 10.000 km though, which is curious kowing that the Sprint has 3
times the power.

Also interesting is which tire wears quicker. On my CB400, XJ600S Diversion
T-max and Sprint ST the rear wore quicker than the front. However on my PC800
and ST1100 the front always went quicker than the rear. And on the GS (and
the first BT057 set on the Sprint) both tires went in the same rate.

On the front now is an Avon AV59, on the rear I'm planning an Avon AV45-ST
soon. I'm curious to see what that sport+sporttouring combo will do.

We'll try to get your tire mileage down in the Black Forest, Markus :-).
Perhaps the new horn will help you get that kick back into life? ;-)

Emile
www.piloot.com