Re: [ST] Larry Grodsky

I've counted up to 15 deer in my yard at one time, so to say I ride in
deer country is a bit of an understatement.  I back my speed way off at
dusk, and I rarely ride at night on the bikes anymore. But other than
keeping a sharp eye for them, and scrubbing as much speed off as you
can when you see one there's just not much you can do. And of course if
you see one expect that there will be more to follow, so don't relax
when the first one clears the road or you clear it.

I've passed deer that were hiding just a few feet off the road at full
tilt, and thanked my lucky stars that they stayed put. I've also had
near collisions with deer in our neighborhood who jump out from
someone's yard and run across the road.

Deer behavior can be so random that I don't think there is a good
defense against them. I do hope that there's more of a write-up about
Larry's accident so we all can learn more from it. It was stunning to
me to read about it because here's someone who we would guess was
taking all the right precautions and he still couldn't avoid it
becoming his time. My only comforting thought is that he went out doing
what he enjoyed most, and that's all we can hope for when it's our
time.

On Apr 11, 2006, at 7:34 AM, Rocky Mountain Motorcycle Holidays wrote:

> I'm not sure if there is any real defense against deer. Any suggestions
> would be appreciated!!We've equipped our bikes with deer whistles, but
> I'm
> not convinced they do any good. We don't do any riding during dusk or
> at
> night (when deer are most active) and I think that helps, but we still
> see
> enough deer during the day for concern.
Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA -
http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/motorcycles
  '99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
  '01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads
  '97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
  '79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned