Re: [ST] Dont let the bastards get you......

In the DC area, the owner of the vehicle receives the fine (you could get the person who was driving to pay without divulging the info to the courts), but no points or anything are assessed against your license, as they cannot prove who was driving.  That's how it works here.

Matt Heyer

----- Original Message ----
From: Nick Nowak <nowak.nick@xxxxxxxxx>
To: st@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 2:23:32 PM
Subject: Re: [ST] Dont let the bastards get you......

In Minnesota there are court cases challenging the use of these red light
cams.  The biggest problem with the cameras is that they are designed
primarily to photograph the license plate.  The ticket is then mailed to the
owner of the car and said traffic violation is posted against the car owners
driving record.  Lend out your car and you can get prosecuted for a crime
you didn't commit, especially since it can be next to impossible to identify
the the driver in the photo.  With a standard traffic stop involving a
police officer, the identity of the violator is clearly established.  It
really has nothing to do with privacy, but the assumed guilt and difficulty
of proving innocence.  The exact opposite of the standard "innocent until
proven guilty".

Nick
'00 RS