Re: [ST] Dont let the bastards get you......

>From: John Ulizzi
>Couldnt agree with you more, Matt....
>The red light cams are just the beginning though...

I believe all this stuff originates from Holland (sad to say..).
If you're surprised about red light cameras (about the only camera
posted at a spot with some potential accident risk) you've still to
meet the "traject controle". In English you could describe it as
electronic segment or route checking.

We already have a couple of sections on Dutch freeways where on certain
points there is about a few million euros worth of camera and sensing
equipment installed overhead the different lanes which measure the speed
of each vehicle and digitally remember the license plate number. A couple
of kilometer later this setup is there again, doing the same thing,
comparing the number plates. If your speed at the entry, exit or average
speed on the whole section was faster than allowed, you'll get your fine
in the mail a few weeks later automatically. No flashes needed for this,
it's all digital and it costs a fortune.

The left wing lobby have already used this technology on certain freeway
stretches to enforce an 80 km/h speedlimit because of "air polution"
(compared to the normal 100 or 120 km/h). This actually resulted in
a huge increase in traffic jams before this segments (bottlenecks),
no doubt also in air polution. But of course if it was up to this
left wing lobby they would want 80 km/h on every freeway (or just
horse and carriage if they would have absolute power).

I believe there are also camera checkpoints here and there checking
automatically for a minimal distances per speed between vehicles and
whether your belt is on (don't know how that works).

A variation of segment checking also seems to be in use on the French
tollroads. If the apparent time between two certain tollbooths is too
quick, you'll be fined as well.

So if you want to know what's coming, just check out our little
parking lot they call a country... (well, fortunately there are still
some nice roads here and there... if not closed for motorcyclists
because of "noise"). I'm beginning to sound too synical, perhaps I
need to emigrate...

Emile
www.piloot.com